As a professional gardener, I highly recommend incorporating mosquito repellent plants into your garden design. Not only do these plants add beauty and fragrance to your outdoor space, but they also naturally repel those pesky mosquitoes.
Here are 10 of my favorite mosquito repellent plants to consider for your garden:
- Citronella: This well-known plant contains citronella oil, which masks scents that attract mosquitoes.
- Catnip: Studies have shown that catnip is 10 times more effective than DEET at repelling mosquitoes.
- Lavender: Not only does this plant have a lovely scent, but it also repels mosquitoes and other pests.
- Peppermint: The strong scent of peppermint is known to deter mosquitoes.
- Lemon balm: This plant has a citrusy scent that mosquitoes find unappealing.
- Basil: The strong aroma of basil can help keep mosquitoes at bay.
- Rosemary: This herb has a woody scent that mosquitoes dislike.
- Marigolds: The scent of marigolds can mask the smell of nearby plants, making it harder for mosquitoes to find you.
- Garlic: Eating garlic can actually repel mosquitoes from the inside out.
- Eucalyptus: This plant contains compounds that are effective at repelling mosquitoes.
You can enjoy a beautiful and pest-free outdoor space all season long if you incorporate these mosquito-repellent plants into your garden. Happy gardening!